We regularly hear this question at the service desk.
Most of the children who participate are between 8 and 12 years old, but we have also had great results with very young children as young as 6 years old. Admittedly, those very young kids are often ready for a new challenge because they can already read extremely well.
Our advice: do the course as early as possible. The sooner you learn it, the sooner you will benefit from what you can do with your typing skills. And in the lower groups they hardly have any homework.
It has even been scientifically proven that children who can touch typing achieve higher grades on a computer test. The keyboard is no longer an obstacle because they can focus completely on the content of the message. By touch typing, they write longer answers and thus get more points.Romer van Bavel, TopiaTeam CEO
To successfully start the course, you need to keep the following in mind:
- Are the hands big enough to operate the keyboard?
- Can your child focus on typing for 15-20 minutes?
- They are mainly games, so if he / she can game for that long, this should also work.
- Watch the trial lessons with your child and see if they are motivated to learn touch typing themselves.
- If the child is motivated, then the competition has already been won to a large extent.
Online learning touch typing, does it work for young children?
Yes, tens of thousands of children have preceded your child. Because TypeTopia is actually one big game, the kids themselves are motivated to continue with the adventure.
A huge advantage of learning touch typing at home is that parents don't have to bring and pick up children from the typing class. Especially in winter it gets dark early, so to let them cycle alone…
And if my child has dyslexia?
Typing skills are an enormous advantage for children with dyslexia. And this is why:
- Using laptop in class
- Spell check helps with text production
- No more troublesome handwriting
Once the reading level is at Avi 4, any child can join TypeTopia. The special dyslexia settings in the program offer extra help in learning this all-important skill.